In both the Old and New Testaments, believers covenanted together that they would obey the Lord. At the time of the Reformation, believers in Scotland adopted this practice for the advancement of Biblical Christianity.
These “Covenanters” maintained that the King (or the State) cannot govern the Church, and that the State itself must recognize the supreme Kingship of Christ. The blue banner bearing the motto “For Christ's Crown and Covenant” originated in 1639 as a battle flag for these Covenanters.
During the period of most intense persecution (1680-1688), some 18,000 men, women, and children were killed or exiled for their faithfulness to "Christ's Crown and Covenant". Since the end of "the killing time," the Blue Banner has continued to serve as a symbol of the Reformed faith.
The Reformed Presbyterian Church treasures its testimony and its heritage as a continuation of the Covenanter church. The banner itself has no theological significance, but serves as a reminder of our commitment to the great truths of the Word of God.